these are some tasty cookies. and they’re healthy(er) too. double whammy!
cast of characters: dark brown sugar, flour (um, hard to see in a plastic container), cinnamon, vanilla extract, quick oats, banana, egg (white), butter, chocolate chips, baking soda, salt
whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. mix in oats and chocolate chips.
(the ghiradelli chocolate chips i “splurged” on are delightful. larger than other brands.)
mix egg white, butter and sugar until smooth. add the banana and vanilla and mix until smooth (no need to mash the banana, just put it in the bowl in a couple chunks and the mixer will do the rest).
(the banana smell is amazing)
pour your wet mix into your dry and mix with a spatula/spoon until incorporated.
drop batter onto greased baking sheets, about the size of a walnut. flatten them slightly with the back of a wet spoon to make 2-inch cookies (i’m not sure why. just do it).
bake until golden brown and almost firm in the center when pressed with a finger. transfer cookies to a baking rack and cool. dig in. eat two, or three, or four…because they’re healthy.
banana oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
makes approx. 24
3/4 cup unbleached flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 large egg white
3 tablespoons butter, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. set baking racks in top and lower thirds of the oven. preheat oven to 400 degrees. coat 2 cookie sheets with spray.
2.whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. mix in oats and chocolate chips.
3. on medium speed, mix egg white, butter and sugar until smooth. blend in banana and vanilla until smooth.
4. pour banana mixture into bowl with dry ingredients, mixing with spatula until well combined.
5. drop batter by walnut-size spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets, spacing cookies at least 2 inches apart. flatten them slightly with the back of a wet spoon, wetting spoon frequently between cookies, to make 2-inch cookies.
6. bake 10 minutes. switch position of pans in oven. bake an additional 5 to 8 minutes or until cookies are golden brown and almost firm in the center when pressed with a finger. transfer cookies to a baking rack and cool.
you might want to make a double batch of these if you plan on sharing. that’s what i did, and they were enjoyed by all (with enough to go around!).
let me know if you enjoy these!